Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Momtographie: A mother's attempt at becoming a professional

Laughable in some sense, but in others, it's a dream come true!

I've been talking, chiming, singing, repeating that I want, will, am going to develop my love for photography and accrue some much needed skillz to do so.  Yes.  The "z" is there for emphasis.  You may giggle.

I finally did it.  For over 2 years I've had this nugget desire to take the Momtographie class taught by Beryl Ayn Young.  She's a witty, down to earth blogger, photographer, teacher, and mom who brings passion and inspiration for photographer to life.  She breaks it down and makes it seem oh-so-simple or *gasp* possible at all to pursue the greater, deeper, broader concepts that pictures and cameras have to offer if only you have the "right ingredients."

So happy early birthday to me!  I decided it was time to stop waiting.  The hubby approved and supported me 100% so I signed up that very same day.  That, I'm guessing, was the easiest part.  Now comes the struggle of balance, time, focus, and opportunity to chew on the ingredients Beryl offers and then turn them into a working, delightful recipes of goodness.  Not great photographs, but photographs that capture the memories the way I want them to.  The kind that tell stories and speak not just one but thousands of words that are unspoken and unwritten.

Our first lesson started last night.  Week 1 - gathering the right ingredients.  Our task - to take notice of light around us, where it is, how it acts, how it moves and then use that light to capture images of some of our favorite things, for most that is our children.

I technically still have to fulfill this week's assignment, but I did get a head start without realizing it when I had a 30 minute window to capture some "father's day gift" photos.  I captured some of the ingredients Beryl gave us without realizing it, but looking back, it all makes sense! 

These pictures are more than Father's Day gift-worthy.  These photos tell a story of the silly, sweet, funny girl and all the love she pours into every moment of every day.  They are playful, fun.  There's room for improvement, but I love how these turned out.












1 comment: