Monday, May 27, 2013

11 Months "Dear Emma"

Hi Emma~Bear

This past month has flown by just like all the months before it.  You're taller, smarter, funnier.  You're walking faster, putting together new syllables, and making new and funny expressions.  You're attached to new objects and toys - i.e. you can't live without your singing puppy, your Step 2 car, your cabbage patch "baby", Nana and Granddad's swing, and daddy's stuffed Bobafett (nerdy-girl in the making!!!).  You want to swim in your paddling pool day and night.  You refuse to sit down in the tub at bath time because suddenly walking around in the water is 100x more fun, and of course you just like to give mommy a heart attack because I'm afraid you're going to slip and fall.  You give kisses all.the.time.  They are open mouth and often very slobbery, but we LOVE them.  You also give hugs!  Daddy or I will sit on the floor and ask "Give daddy hug? Give momma hug?" You'll waddle over with a silly grin, arms open, and lay your head on our shoulder.  Sometimes you'll hug or kiss our knee or our arms, and you never forget the puppies.  Sometimes you'll kiss Bailey and Bourbon first.  You've started drinking from your sippy all on your own.  You hate any other milk accept momma's, but you love water.  Girlfriend, you cannot get enough of that H2O!  Whether it's drinking it or playing it, there is no doubt that you were born to be a water baby.  You love being outside.  The first thing you do when you get to Nana and Granddads in the mornings is point to the patio.  Your day just cannot get started out right unless you get in that swing ASAP.  You point at everything.  Literally, everything.  You've learned that water comes from the refrigerator and your crackers and Veggie Straws come from the pantry.  You'll start pointing and "ooooh"ing at one or the other to let us know you're ready for a drink and snack.

We also started the very slow process of transitioning you to your own bed.  We set up a "sidecar crib" next to our bed.  Our bed time routine hasn't changed much though.  The one major difference is that I lay you in your crib portion of the bed now.  When you stir the first few times I'll crawl into that tiny space with you to nurse you back to sleep.  You're still not sleeping through the night.  In fact, you wake up more now than you did as an infant, sometimes every hour!!  It's not all your fault though.  In the last month you've grown a few inches, I can tell!  You've also acquired 2 new teeth - your 2 front teeth!!! Those growth spurts and teeth are enough to keep a grown man awake, I can only imagine (well, I get to experience) how restless it makes you.  After your 1st birthday we'll try to make the crib transition a little more permanent and eventually we'll move you to your own room.  It'll be a big change for all of us, but I think in the end we'll all sleep better and be happier.

Speaking of your first birthday...It's only 3 weeks away!  I'm not sure how a year has gone by already.  You've grown so quickly.  I can barely remember the squishy, tiny newborn that you were.  Now you're a toddler, walking, talking, learning so much.  It's such a bittersweet transition, as most of life is.  I've been in party planning overload, but I want it to be spectacular.  You may not remember it, but there will be tons of pictures to tell you exactly what happened.  All of your family and friends will be there to celebrate you and the miracle that you are.  I can't wait!

I love you, sweet girl, more than you'll ever know.  I've enjoyed the last 11 months, tears, exhaustion, and all.  As you get bigger and more independent, your charm and beauty shines so much brighter.  Your smile is contagious and your big blue eyes are captivating.  Daddy and I are so proud to be your parents and are in awe of just how amazing you are and how lucky we are to have you.

Happy {belated} 11 months!

- Mommy

5 comments:

  1. Oh I'm excited to see how the sidecar crib works for you guys!
    My son was in his for months, before we transitioned him to his own room, and I really think it helped . . . but every baby is so different (they like to keep us on our toes)

    GL <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So for so good! She's only ended up in our bed a handful of times in the last month, and that was on nights where she was teething or having a hard time sleeping. I consider that successful!! We'll be working towards a transition to her room, but we aren't quite sure how yet. I'm thinking straight to a toddler bed set up but we have a few more things to work on first. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
    2. That's good to hear :) I really hope the next transition goes just as smoothly!

      I'm thinking of doing a Montesorri-style floor bed transition soon(ish) for my son, but does tend to be hit or miss (either the kid adjusts and plays quietly in their room, or they go friggin bonkers) ~ but anyways, it's just another thought in the (many) ways/choices/options you have to transition E. to her room ;)

      Delete